Volleyball: Duchesne set to open season
The Duchesne volleyball team will try to wipe the slate clean after a challenging 2010 season.
New head coach Chien-Yu Lee inherits a Chargers squad that was winless (0-10) in TAPPS District 3-5A a year ago. But, as far as Lee is concerned, it's all in the past.
"We've got the talent to be in the top three or four (teams) in the district," said Lee, who is returning to Duchesne after a year away at St. Thomas Episcopal. "It's a new start."
Duchesne opens the new season on the road at Lutheran South on Friday, Aug. 12. While not a league game, it's a chance for Lee to see what his players can do.
Lutheran South head coach Geoff Stresman also is excited about the chance to improve on last season. The Pioneers finished sixth in TAPPS District 4-4A.
"I think we're a better team than last year, but we have to go out and prove it," Stresman said.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Duchesne Chargers at Lutheran South Pioneers
• When: 6 p.m., Friday, Aug. 12
• Where: Lutheran South
• What's at stake: Both Duchesne and Lutheran South are coming off losing seasons. The winner should gain some needed confidence.
• Duchesne players to watch: MB/OH/S Nenye Okoro, OH Darcey Holender, S/RSH Kalyn Speck, OH/MB Elizabeth Johnson, S/RSH Gabriella Miggins, OH/MB Melissa Thurber, S/RSH Sarah Stanley, MB Ijeoma Okoro.
• Lutheran South players to watch: MB/OH Kolby Sharp, MB/OH Kailey Grimes, OH Callie McNeil, MB/RSH Maddy Adams, S Ainsley Escobar.
• Duchesne: The Chargers will rely heavily on Nenye Okoro, arguably their best all-around player. However, they have plenty of experience, with veterans such as Holender, Speck and Johnson all returning.
• Lutheran South: Stresman, now in his ninth season at Lutheran South, could have the Pioneers in playoff contention in TAPPS District 4-4A. Sharp, an honorable mention all-state pick, leads the team in the middle, along with Grimes and Adams. McNeil, a 6-footer, is a transfer from Pearland who could take Lutheran South to the next level.
Local Advertising by PaperG